Simply Linux 7.0
From ALT Linux Wiki
Simply Linux is an operating system that is easy to set up and convenient to use, which allows the user to perform all kinds of everyday productivity tasks without feeling concerned about the virus risks and without having to spend time to find the necessary applications on the Internet or in shops. Simply Linux is an operating system for everyone. It is easy to use, does not require a lot of hardware resources, it is functional and reliable.
The Simply Linux project sets a goal to create a Linux operating system tailored for end-users. The idea of the Simply Linux project is to raise the user's interest in Free Software by showing her how accessible and convenient this software is.
The Simply Linux package includes over 30 applications targeted at the most frequent needs of end-users. The package includes a broad selection of device drivers which facilitates the installation and configuration of additional devices.
Project website: http://simplylinux.ru
The Seventh Platform
This release is the first that is available for the miniature ARMv7-based computer Cubox from Solid Run with the same design and package base as the builds for the traditional i586 and x86_64 architectures.
Release date and support cycle
Release: 1 July, 2013
End of support (if other conditions are not agreed upon with the customer): 30 June, 2015, but not earlier than 6 months after the release of the 8.0 version.
New in 7.0 release
- Xfce 4.10.
- Support for installation in UEFI mode (for 64-bit versions).
- Systemd initialization system.
- Support for IPv6 (including Etcnet and Alterator modules).
- Introduced support for installation on encrypted partitions (an unencrypted /boot partition is required) with LUKS (only for i586 and x86_64).
- Improved support for execution of 32-bit applications in a 64-bit environment.
- Implemented out-of-the-box support for the popular 1С accounting software (only for i586 and x86_64).
- The installation version of the distribution now includes an installation program for Steam (только для i586 и x86_64).
- Preliminary support for Ukrainian language in the Live image (as well as some other localizations).
- For improved rendering of fonts, special versions of libraries with patches from www.infinality.net are integrated.
Versions of core software
- Linux Kernel 188.8.131.52 (3.5.7 for ARM)
- Xorg 1.14.1 (1.13.2 for ARM)
- NetworkManager 0.9.8
- Firefox 21
- Thunderbird 17.0.6
- LibreOffice 4.0
- GIMP 2.8.4
- Audacious 3.3.4
- Pidgin 2.10.7
- Gnome-mplayer 1.0.8 (Parole 0.5.1 for ARM)
- Brasero 3.8.0
- medit 1.1.0
- 512 MB RAM or more
- over 15 GB of free space on the hard drive for the installation version and over 8 GB for the live version.
The distribution is available in builds for i586 and x86_64 CPU architectures in two formats:
- DVD image with a choice of boot modes: installation, LiveCD, system rescue;
- image with a Live system (with a possibility to install a system on the hard drive within the Live mode).
All images are hybrid and can be recorded on either DVD disks or USB flash drives. It is recommended to use the dd utility to record the installation images on USB flash drives. In this case, the image should be recorded on the whole drive (/dev/sdb), and not on an individual partition (/dev/sdb1).
The following locations support both ftp:// and http:// access:
- ftp://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/p7/images/simply/ (main server)
|altlinux-7.0.0-simply-x86_64-install-dvd5.iso||Hybrid installation DVD+LiveCD (x86_64), file list||4,3 GB||33ae2b19f6dbf518f53fe396ded202b4|
|altlinux-7.0.0-simply-i586-install-dvd5.iso||Hybrid installation DVD+LiveCD (i586), file list||4,0 GB||7942a41519f44f4f5347609b574ac0da|
|altlinux-7.0.0-simply-x86_64-live-dvd5.iso||Live image (x86_64), file list||949 MB||db3185cf24a1fbf6e6d62d833612a3f2|
|altlinux-7.0.0-simply-i586-live-dvd5.iso||Live image (i586), file list||815 MB||f3c098c9c941d6ced68e0d16700b3e06|
|altlinux-7.0.0-simply-cubox-armh.img.gz||Image for Cubox||781 MB||3ede1f116f1f0709b028f2bc143b2832|