ALT Linux School 2009 (aka ALT Linux 5 School)
A set of ALT Linux distributions targetted at educational institutions:
- ALT Linux 5.0.0 School Lite
- ALT Linux 5.0.0 School Junior
- ALT Linux 5.0.0 School Master
Caution! The current state is beta. The final release may contain siginificant changes from the current one.
- Linux kernel 2.6.30
- OpenOffice.org 126.96.36.199
- XFCE 4.6.1 (ALT Linux 5.0.0 Lite)
- GNOME 2.26 (ALT Linux 5.0.0 Junior)
- KDE 4.3.0 (ALT Linux 5.0.0 Master)
- GIMP 2.6.7
- Scribus 188.8.131.52
- Inkscape 0.47
- Beta: August, 27th, 2009
What's new (compared to the Free Software Suite-2008)
- Up-to-date versions of most software included
- Use GNOME desktop environment in ALT Linux Junior, KDE4 in ALT Linux Master
- New lookout
- Live CD allows you to install a system to your hard disc
- ALT Linux Junior and ALT Linux Master contain additional software:
- KuMir IDE
- recordmydesktop (qt/gtk, depending on the DE)
- YAGF (CuneiForm-powered OCR system with graphical interface)
- In addition, ALT Linux Junior includes Anjuta 2, an IDE for GNOME
Only -ru- images are available at the moment. You can switch to the English interface (and go on with installation or running a LiveCD in English) by pressing F2 at the boot screen. Sorry for inconvenience.
|ALT Linux Lite|
|school-5.0.0_beta-20090826-school-lite-i586-ru-install-cd.iso||Install CD (i586), files list||654 Mb||2e096dbad9d2a15b9b55ec480fbf99e4|
|school-5.0.0_beta-20090826-school-lite-i586-ru-addon-cd.iso||Additional CD (i586), files list||228 Mb||a8a3b42934eef7b0e3cc7482f804f729|
|ALT Linux Junior|
|school-5.0.0_beta-20090826-junior-i586-ru-install-dvd5.iso||Install DVD/Live CD (i586), files list||2,8 Gb||bd9d2a918f9d6be60bda1b0990dd60a0|
|ALT Linux Master|
|school-5.0.0_beta-20090826-master-i586-ru-install-dvd5.iso||Install DVD/Live CD (i586), files list||3,4 Gb||7d86d16be585e330c7805ae4a18e4c77|
Software changes (compared to the Free Software Suite-2008)
- There's no Scilab in ALT Linux Lite.
- ClamAV antivirus is not included into ALT Linux Master. It is still available as part of ALT Linux Lite and ALT Linux Junior.
- SKF plugin for Squid is not available in this beta (if you don't know what it is, you don't need it).
- ALT Linux Junior uses GNOME as the primary environment, with File-Roller as the primary archiver.
- Instead of Quanta, Bluefish is added to ALT Linux Junior, Kate to ALT Linux Master.
- There's Code::Blocks instead of KDevelop in ALT Linux Junior and ALT Linux Master.
- Instead of KPDF, there's Evince in ALT Linux Junior, oKular in ALT Linux Master.
- No rescue mode yet
- No documentation
- Unfinished localization for any language except English
- No help for some parts of ALT Linux System Management Center
- Thunderbird doesn't open hyperlinks in e-mails
- No/wrong icons for some steps of installer
- Arrow and Fn keys on additional keyboard don't work in mc when using KDE.
- When switching to a tty, the keyboard layout switcher is being reset to Ctrl-Shift
- Konqueror doesn't show history properly
- Audacity doesn't read mp3 files out of the box
- The installation source menus does not operate
- Problems with non UTF-8 charsets in Zip-archives (including those created in other OSes)
- On some laptops, keyboard fails to work after Suspend to RAM
- No examples and empty Welcome page in Eclipse
- No way to install to hard disc in "LiveCD with sessions" mode
- The background doesn't scale when installing from a LiveCD
- memtest doesn't work from the boot screen
- In XFCE, there's no 'System Management Center' launcher in the menu
The screenshots are taken from the Russian wiki page; English localization of the interface is available, too.
You can discuss ALT Linux School 2009 in the English-speaking ALT Linux community list.