ALT Linux 5.0 Ark
ALT Linux Ark
ALT Linux presents ALT Linux Ark, a suite of distributions that is designed for making integrated solutions.
The suite contains 2 distributions for two hardware platforms (i586 and x86_64):
ALT Linux 5.0 Ark Server. Features include:
- Enterprise network setup.
- Host-based authorization of users and services.
- Easy connection of remote offices via VPN.
- Host-based updates for servers and workstations.
- Network operating system installation to workstations.
- Virtualization for 3rd party software containers.
- Backup and restore functionality (you can recover a single file or the filesystem from the same backup).
- A unified file storage with quota support.
- Automatic RAID1 creation if 2+ identical discs are detected.
- An easy and convenient administration interface that doesn't require profound knowledge of server subsystems.
ALT Linux 5.0 Ark Desktop. Features include:
- A graphical environment — GNOME.
- Automatic detection of a connected Ark Server installation; network-wide settings are taken from it.
- Easy interaction with containers that are installed at the Office Server, including out-of-the-box terminal client mode.
- A set of software that lets you start working right away: an office suite, internet applications and more.
- Host-based authentication.
- Integration with the Office Server network file storage.
Main features of Platform Five
Products that comprise and extend Platform Five are distributed as virtual containers for a basic server distribution, ALT Linux 5 Server. Using virtual containers in server solutions provides increased security, convenient support conditions for software vendors, an opportunity to distribute customized solutions, and ease of use. The virtualization technologies instantly available are OpenVZ and KVM.
Zeroconf technology allows to dramatically reduce time and resources that are needed to deploy an office network using Platform Five products. Most of a usual setup sequence is done automatically. Platform Five is mostly targeted at solution providers (both with free and proprietary licensing). An ISV that distributes its product in the form of a container for Platform Five gains an opportunity to deliver modules with various life cycles (and even on varying codebase) and build an IT infrastructure based on the open platform. ALT Linux company provides many services related to Platform Five: compatibility certification program for products made by ISVs, distribution of products made for Platform Five as well as support and training services for those products, publishing products with a common Platform Five design, and products promotion as well. ALT Linux partners and ALT Linux Team members have preferences when cooperating with ALT Linux.
Instructions for making containers: http://en.altlinux.org/Platform5.0
- Linux kernel 2.6.30 (workstations), 2.6.27 (Ark Server)
- GCC 4.4
- GLIBC 2.10.1
- Xorg 1.6.5
- OpenOffice.org 184.108.40.206
- GNOME 2.26.3 (ALT Linux Gnome Desktop)
- GIMP 2.6.7
- Scribus 220.127.116.11
- Inkscape 0.47
- Beta: September, 9, 2009
|ALT Linux Ark Server|
|The list is under construction|
|ALT Linux Ark Desktop|
|The list is under construction